Kadi4Mat is the Karlsruhe Data Infrastructure for Materials Science, an open source software for managing research data.
The goal of this project is to combine the ability to manage and exchange data, the repository, with the possibility to analyze, visualize and transform said data, the electronic lab notebook (ELN).
Kadi4Mat is supposed to support a close cooperation between experimenters, theorists and simulators, especially in materials science, and enable the acquisition of new knowledge and the development of novel materials. This is made possible by employing a modular and generic architecture, which allows to cover the specific needs of different scientists, each utilizing unique workflows. At the same time, this opens up the possibility to easily branch out into other disciplines in the future.
The focus on the repository component is on warm data, i.e. unpublished data that is yet to be analysed further, while in the ELN component it is on the automated and documented execution of heterogeneous workflows. The components are therefore best described as community repository and ELN 2.0 respectively. In this way, a virtual research environment is created that facilitates collaboration between researchers. The future goal of Kadi4Mat is to electronically record the entire scientific workflow of daily research work.
The objectives of the research data infrastructure are:
- Structured data storage and web based data exchange via different interfaces
- Fine-grained, user defined access permissions
- Heterogeneous and reproducible workflows to make use of application-specific tools for the analysis, transformation, visualization and transport of different data in an automated and documentable manner
- Publication and referencing of research data using persistent identifiers
- Plugin infrastructure to easily extend and override core functionality
- Allowing other institutions to set up their own installations with the possibility to connect multiple instances
- FestBatt (Cluster of Competence for Solid-state Batteries)
- POLiS (Post Lithium Storage Cluster of Excellence)
- MoMaF (Science Data Center for Molecular Materials Research)
- NFDI4Ing (National Research Data Infrastructure for Engineering Sciences)
How to cite:
Brandt, N., Griem, L., Herrmann, C., Schoof, E., Tosato, G., Zhao, Y., Zschumme, P. and Selzer, M., 2021. Kadi4Mat: A Research Data Infrastructure for Materials Science. Data Science Journal, 20(1), p.8. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5334/dsj-2021-008
Listed below are all instances of Kadi4Mat hosted at the IAM-CMS:
Note that this instance is automatically reset at the beginning of each month.
Straße am Forum 7
Team, in alphabetical order
Kadi4Mat at IAM-CMS
Follow @Kadi4Mat on TwitterAll types of feedback may also be sent to